Saturday, December 27, 2014

Figures

     I'm calling this post "Figures" for a couple of reasons.  One, it would figure that I get the coat together enough to try it on and it's too big.  I guess when I cut it out originally, years ago I admit shamefully, I was a size or two bigger.  Two, since I've had some changes in my figure, I've had to make some alterations.
 

 First, I took the two back seams in 1/2".   Then, I took in the side seams and a portion of the sleeve 1 5/8" until I was 13 1/2" away from the end of the sleeve.  I tapered the seam down to 5/8".  This took some of the bulk out of the coat. 

I traipse upstairs to try it on; I don't have a mirror downstairs, unfortunately.  It looked pretty good in the back, side seams, and arms.  But, the pockets were now too low.  Seriously??!! 

This would not be a big deal if this fabric wasn't fleece...and if it wasn't a pocket...which I stitched and double stitched near the opening to make sure it was secure.  The thread sinks down in fleece which makes it hard to find and rip without putting a hole in your fabric.  So, I had to take my time and use my sharpest seam ripper.


I got the pockets off and raised each one 1 1/4".  Upstairs I go, again.  All good, right?  Wrong!  Something still doesn't look right.  I look at it and look at it and realize...it's the neckline...it's too low.  I ask my husband what he thinks and he said it was fine.  I should have figured, everything looks fine to him.  I don't like it so I'm trying to study this pattern to see where the first button is on the model. 


I really can't see it, but it looks like the coat falls open right at her bust line.  On me, the coat opening would be about two inches below my bust line.
It doesn't look too low in this picture, but it does in person.  So, I decided to take those shoulder seams in about 3/4".  I also needed to cut out the bulk from the seams I took in, but I couldn't find my scissors.  Hubby had them...AGAIN!  Figures!

No comments:

Post a Comment